Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:25:50 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   64-bit time_t on sparc64 -- what's left to do?

So, what more needs to be done before we flip the switch to
a 64-bit time_t on sparc64?

My thoughts would be to:

    1) commit the UPDATING.64BTT and installworld_nk files
       to /usr/src (so it is easier for people to try it).
    2) do something with the cvsup64btt-without-gui-16.1h.tbz
       so it's where it needs to be for people to get to it.
       (I'm still not quite sure what is appropriate for that)
    2a)  [wait at least a few days for more feedback]
    3) commit the real change to
             /usr/src/sys/sparc64/include/_types.h
       and a short blurb in /usr/src/UPDATING which tells
       sparc64 users that they must read UPDATING.64BTT
    4) cross our collective fingers...

Right now I'm assuming that "I'm done", unless someone tells me
there's some additional steps I should be working on, or tells
me of a problem with the installworld_nk script.  I don't know
how many people have tried that script yet, but I do know a few
have and it has worked for them.

I do have ideas on how we could make this transition even safer,
but I'm certain it will take me at least two more weekends to
debug those ideas.  Key phrase:  "at least two"...

(this is bcc'ed to -current, but I expect any discussion to
happen on the -sparc64 mailing list)