Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:05:32 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Lane Holcombe <laneholc@earthlink.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Going STABLE from CURRENT

In message <200109270314.UAA07836@gull.mail.pas.earthlink.net> Lane Holcombe writes:
: PAM broke the other day, and after too long I realize that it is because I
: have been running 5.0-CURRENT when I should be STABLE.
:
: So now I want to get to 4.4-STABLE.  I removed /usr/src and reran cvsup for
: RELENG_4.  Then I sucessfully ran make build/install kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC.
:
: But now  make buildworld keeps failing at:

That sounds strange.

In the past (like 4 months ago), I did a 5.0 -> 4.3-stable upgrade
with the following technique:

	make buildworld
	make instalworld -k
	make instalworld -k
	# build the kernel via the old way
	install the kernel
	mergemaster
	reboot
	make world
	rebuild the kernel again
	mergemaster (again)

I'm sure that I've forgotten some hacks I had to do to make it work.

Warner