Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:44:48 -0400
From:      "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@shiningsilence.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Websurfer appliance and getting USB ethernet working

I have a Websurfer Internet Appliance, recently sold by CompUSA.  It's been
opened up and had a hard drive added, and FreeBSD 4.5 installed.

I've been trying to get this on the Internet by attaching a Linksys USB
Ethernet adapter - it's a supported model, and it shows up in dmesg as aue0.
I've added it in rc.conf to get a static IP, as this machine is in my
internal network.

Attaching the Linksys USB device, before or after boot, results in a repeating
console message, "aue0: MII read timed out".  This starts on boot right after
the usbd daemon starts.

My questions for the list are:
1: Does anyone know a reason/fix for this?
2: Failing that, where can I look for more info?

Please cc: my email address with any replies.