Date:      Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:25:22 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Carl Delsey <cdelsey@qwest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: growisofs: no mkisofs options are permitted with =, aborting

Carl Delsey wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 09:50:03AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
[ ... ]
>>>growisofs -Z /dev/cd0=image.iso
>>
>>The version of growisofs that I use doesn't have a -Z option.  From a
>>system that does:
>>
>>       -Z /dev/dvd
>>              Burn  an  initial session to the selected device. A special form
>>              of this option is recognized to support burning of  pre-mastered
>>              images. See EXAMPLES section for further details.
>>
>>Is this your intention?  If so, it seems that you're not sticking to
>>the syntax.
>
> It's valid syntax ... just not documented in the man page. You have to
> go out to the website to find out about it.

Look just before the NOTES section of the manpage:

"     To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to a DVD:

             growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

       where image.iso represents an arbitrary object in the filesystem,  such
       as file, named pipe or device entry.  Nothing is growing here and com-
       mand name is not intuitive in this context."

--
-Chuck