Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:39:48 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Ross A Lippert <ripper@plato.nmia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ok, how about a 3Com

Ross A Lippert wrote:

> (with regards to the previous saga of getting freeBSD on my thinkpad)

What type of Thinkpad do you have?

> OK, I was able to swap cards and get a 3com 3c589B card.  I figure this
> card is significantly older than the etherjet cardbus and so it should be
> supported (and I've never had trouble with 3com before).  Is there a good
> tutorial on pccards under freeBSD that someone on this list recommends?

I've got a 3Com 589D and I've been able to do network installs over it
on both a Thinkpad 600 and 560Z. It uses the ep0 driver.

FreeBSD supports the Linksys Fast 100-BaseT (ed0 driver) but I was
unable to do a network install over those. I resorted to installing over
a 3Com 589D and after install changed over to the LinkSys. Works fine.

Another card that works *very* well on FreeBSD 4 is the Lucent WaveLAN
Silver card, thanks to Bill Paul. I couldn't do a network install over
this card either because the sysinstall doesn't allow you to set the
various WaveLAN specific options such as SSID and port-type which are
neccessary to talk to my access point but after install it works just
dandy.

Getting things to work on the ThinkPad 600 was rather easy, the defaults
just worked I think. You may have to experiment with the various PCCARD
sysinstall options a bit but that's all. I'd give more info but the 600
is being serviced at this moment.

The 560Z is another story, I don't have the details at hand but getting
it to work with sysinstall's GENERIC kernel involved:

- Making sure there's only one card inserted.
- Disabling 'Quick Boot' in the BIOS
  (so that the BIOS initializes everything).
- Changing the PCCARD irq in the visual kernel config.
  I don't recall the values but if it is set to 11 you
  have to change it to 10 or the other way around.
- Trying different settings for PCCARD memory and IRQ
  in sysinstall. The defaults don't work. Try the 3rd
  and 2nd options for the memory window and the 2nd or
  3rd for IRQ.

I wrote up the details on a webpage (including kernel config) but that's
offline now unfortunately. I'll send mail when it's online again but it
can take a while (weeks). Dmesg available on request.

Bottom line: installing from CDROM is probably easier unless you don't
have a CDROM device :-)

Cheers,
Jeroen