Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        jobaldwi@vt.edu
Cc:        motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp, nclayton@lehman.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

 * From: John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>

 * No offense, but your arguments apply to a specific case, i.e. "ja", and Nik is
 * trying to setup a generic structure that will be easily extensible and
 * consistent.  That is why "en" is changing to "en_US.iso-8859-1" or something
 * similar.  We understand that it's just bit flipping to do JIS -> SJIS -> EUC,
 * but please understand that Nik is proposing a system that is bigger than the
 * doc/ja tree.  It is the doc/ tree.  Also, the end user will still have
 * /usr/share/man/ja and /usr/share/doc/ja.. this is only for the CVS repository.
 * Please try to see the big picture here instead of just looking at the "ja"
 * stuff.  Everyone else has to adjust to this change, too.

Please read the entire thread before replying to an old message.

The largest (maybe only) problem the Japanese people have is his
stated eventual goal of enforcing the <lang><_territory><.codeset>
full spec into the installation directories of all languages (as a
default).  We are discussing this now since the current proposed move
is a preparation of that eventual goal.

I have already suggested that we are willing to compromise if he will
allow per-language *default* installation directories to be determined
by the users of that language, not by someone who doesn't use the
language.

===