Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 18:17:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      StevenR362@aol.com
To:        imp@village.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer sharing

In a message dated 97-06-25 17:27:41 EDT, imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
writes:

> OK.  I wanna share my two printers between my two systems.  Once is a
>  nice laser printer and the other is a color inkjet printer.  Both are
>  HP printers.  The *STUPID* hp driver *REQUIRES* that the printer be
>  connected to the computer and seems to go to great lengths to detect
>  and defeat printer share boxes.

You have at least two options that should work.  Option one is to buy
a high quality automatic printer switch that is bidirectional
I.E.E. 1280? (can't remember the exact number) compatible.  It has to
fully mimic a straight through bidirectional cable.  Solectek makes some
nice ones that run about $35.00.  I am succesfully using one myself.  It
is totally transparent printing from both machines.  The switch even does
the right thing when you try to print simultaneously from both machines.
One machine gets a printer busy signal.

You might possibly have to play games with windows plug&pray crap
by installing your drivers with a straight cable and then attaching the
switch afterwards.  With the new printers, EPP bidirectionality is mandatory.

Option two is to run Samba on your FreeBSD box with both printers attached
and network mount them on your windows machine.  I would have done this
except I already had the switch.  This also gives you the added benefit of
being able to mount disk space from your FreeBSD box on your windows
machine.  Two $19.00 NE2000 clones will set you right up for less than the
printer switches.  Also take a look at apsfilter in ports.  It is about as
transparent as you can get for printing from Unix.

Steve