Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:36:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr (Evren Yurtesen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: couldn't set disk in "badscan" mode: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> hello,
> I am having trouble when I am using bad144
> does anybody know what does this mean?
> I think that I should correct this problem but how?
>
> cyl: 526, tracks: 255, secs: 63, sec/cyl: 16065, start: 0, end: 8466003
> bad144: couldn't set disk in "badscan" mode: Inappropriate ioctl for
> device

I hate to add a "me too" here... so I won't. (Haven't tried bad144 on
FBSD, but have used it on NetBSD in the past.)

My impression is that bad144 won't work on a disk whose driver does not
support it. At least in the past, only the MFM (old, pre-IDE "ST-506" PeeCee
drives) and ESDI drivers (and of course old 8"-14" form-factor Vax
drives...) supported bad144-style remapping, and this had to be
taken into account at the fdisk stage, involving manually entering
"known" bad blocks before disklabel and newfs.

In this light, I would say that your ioctl error says simply, "This
isn't a bad144 compatible disk." I would say that non-MFM/ESDI disks
all fit this category (i.e. IDE/SCSI disks are not bad144-able), but
I have seen posts here lately that suggest that people are successfully
using bad144 on such disks, to my confusion.

Could someone give us a thumbnail sketch of bad144 under FreeBSD?

Dave
--
         Bedford County, PA -- 47,000 polite, friendly Appalachians,
                4,000 of whom have concealed-carry permits.