Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:07:30 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dan Walters <hannibal@cyberstation.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-RW documentation...

> I just ordered a EIDE CD-RW (all the 4x models I could find were EIDE, and
> if hard drives are any indication I bet most CD-RWs will probably be EIDE
> soon) and of course would like to use it under FreeBSD.  I don't even see
> anything looking like support for it under Linux, which really surprised
> me.  I'd be interested in at least attempting to implement some support
> for it.  Can someone tell me where I could get my hands on some sort of
> programmer's guide or manual for these?  Would the specifics for a CD-RW
> actually be covered in the ATAPI specs from WD?

What you have basically bought is a SCSI device with an IDE connector.

If you're serious about hacking on ATAPI support for FreeBSD, you will
want to grab the relevant specifications documents (I've got most of
them at ftp://ftp.smith.net.au/doc/ATAPI,CAM) and Justin Gibbs' CAM work
(from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/cam-*).

Kenneth Merry and I were discussing this the last week or so; I can
send you various excerpts and some useful diagrams that came out of
that if you're interested.

mike