Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:34:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org, phk@FreeBSD.org, grog@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

BK> So, why should we care about JFS?

hi,
We would care about JFS (i and others with my type of
thinking system) because as it has already been
discussed for a great length.  One cannot judge the
negativity of an IBM product or any other big
company's product.

For argument's sake; Even though FreeBSD is better
than
AIX (much better), and also free, why do corporates
and
goverment agencies tend to choose IBM and Sun based
products more than FreeBSD.

In Brief. The point is, forgive my bluntness, but
porting JFS to FreeBSD, might give companies with
Terabytes of information on these file system to
switch to FreeBSD for mission-critical purposes,
even when they know that JFS is under the influence
of the GPL License.

(no offense), but if these kind of things are to be
taken religiously (GPL vs. BSD License), than it
would render this whole thread completely illogical,
which i have always tried to prevent.

For me, any software that comes under
agreeable licensing, i.e. GPL and BSD License, MIT
License etc. and also has good quality, e.g. GCC,
binutils, gnuplot and also other BSD License software
is good enough for me or for any other company i would
say.

BTW: I have found a host, 'Kevin Golding' in
United Kingdom has agreed to provide me the web-space
sooner-later.  I have also agreed up with my friend,
who will provide the domain name which will be
mapped to kevin's ip address.

[NOTE]
If you or any other member of the FreeBSD Project or
anyother developer has an understanding of JFS and
would like to join the JFS4BSD Project, please send
an email to hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org (me), with your
name and email address, and your area of expertise
if possible.

Thanks,
=Hiten
=<hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>