Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:00:48 -0500
From:      Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        eivind@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MOSIX on FreeBSD

| >> And what exactly does the "MOSIX" thing do?  Maybe vmware, bochs
| >> or another PC emulator can help you?
| >www.mosix.org
| >
| >Sorry for the lack of terminology, but apparently is some sort of clustering
| >software for linux to setup clusters with a few linux machines.
|
| It's an alternative to MPI or PVM which performs parallel execution
| across a cluster of linux machines.  It's advantage is that it can take
| applications like say, Apache, who aren't MPI capable, but are threaded,
| and distribute their threads over the cluster for parallel execution.
| No need to rewrite code for MPI threads.  However, it's certainly not as
| efficient as MPI or PVM for real world applications.  The Hebrew
| University of Jerusalem writes the software and before they wrote it for
| linux, they had a BSD/OS version.  They are not allowed to release the
| source to the BSD/OS version, presumably because BSDi had some sort of
| source restriction on them at the time.  If anything I would look into
| whether BSDi owns the source and get them to release it.  It would be a
| much easier FreeBSD port from there.

For what it's worth, myself and the group of programmers I work with are
willing to give this MOSIX port a try, but someone *cough* eivind *cough*
hasn't gotten around to making a goals list for us to work towards yet. :-)

Cheers,
-Dan

--
God game men a brain and a penis but only enough blood to
run one at a time.