Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:02:06 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Poor Guys <dustpan@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting a: drive

Poor Guys writes:
> Hello,
>
> I am fairly new here, and I realize that the floppy drive isnt the greatest
> Unix tool, but I have a later SVGA drive version for my video card I am
> trying to get installed so FreeBSD can run X 3.3.1.  Anyways, how do I get
> this file off the disk?  What commands do I need to use to get access the
> the A: drive

The easiest way to do is is install the mtools port/package:
/usr/ports/emulators/mtools

Then you'd simply insert the floppy and type "mdir a:" and
"mcopy a:the_file.ext ." and you'd have it.

The user you run as has to have at least read permission on the floppy
device(s). Easiest way to do this is to add yourself to the operator
group.

Without mtools you might (as root):
# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0.1440 /mnt

Don't forget to umount the floppy before removing it.