Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:57:42 -0400
From:      Josh Tiefenbach <josh@zipperup.org>
To:        Idea Receiver <receiver@RedDust.BlueSky.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange problem of PPPoE + NAT

> > When it happens, killing ppp and restarting it is usually enough.
> >
> > I have no idea what causes it.
> >

> kill ppp and restart it doesnt help at all.
> will it make any different if i change a network card?

I dont think so. There are times when I cant do a simple kill/restart, and I
have to physically shut off the modem, cycle power on my server, and bring it
up again.

While this *may* be a function of the PPPoE code, I'm inclined to blame my
provider, if only because they've had issues in the past. I presently lack the
resources to adequately debug the issue.

> it happen so frequently, it is impossible to run a stable
> server with PPPoE!

Might I suggest you drop a note over on freebsd-net? Perhaps you'll rustle up
some more support there.

josh

--
"Watching those 2 guys [Bush and Gore] debate is like watching Ben Stein read
'The Story of O'" -- Dennis Miller