Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:33:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>
Cc:        Keith J <kjohnso8@columbus.rr.com>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Ong <peter@haloflightleader.net>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Robert L Sowders wrote:

> auto is not reliable ( at least for the fxp driver ).  It always succeeds
> when I force full duplex though.

  I've never been able to get the auto on the fxp driver to fail.  In
fact, in the early days of the fxp driver, autonegotiate was the only way
to get the driver to do 100/full as the the media type options weren't
part of ifconfig yet.

  However, it is important for both ends to be set for auto-negotiate.
If you specify a manual setting on one end, you've disabled
auto-negotiate, and it will not work.

  I've tested auto-negotiate on the fxp driver with the following
switches:

Cisco Catalyst 3524XL
Cisco Catalyst 2924XL
Cisco Catalyst 550x