Date:      Thu, 22 May 1997 03:29:44 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "P. van Leeuwen" <pvl@nanoteq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xauthority

~
> I did RTFM, and checked all the xdm config files as well as
> my ~/Xauthority and everything checks out.

.Xauthority is created by xdm, and is refreshed on each login
(you can add your owm 'private' entries too and they are correctly
preserved between sessions, which is useful for xemacs, for example,
but this is beside the point for now :-)). Make sure its permissions
allow reading only by the user.

>  Unsecure display 0:
>
>  Earlier on it said Secure though.

Add "xhost -" in your .xsession.

>  My ~/Xauthority is empty when X isn't running and contains 2
> entries when I start xdm.

That looks to be working correctly. Are the permissions ok?
Other than that, adding the "xhost -" to turn off insecure
connections should do the rest (it should default to that, but
sometimes doesn't - I have no idea what changes it).

> No other programs except tk stuff complain about anything such
> as opening the display.

That's because they're not insisting on using xauth, but probably
fall back to using xhost, which is far too simple an authorisation
protocol to be used on any internet connected machine without at
least a firewall.

>  Does anyone have any idea what I did or how to fix it?

Xauth is a pita. It should be easier than it is, or at least the
error messages and documentation could be more helpful by providing
some working examples. I still haven't managed to figure out how to
get xauthority working with xinit, and I'd honestly prefer to
startup X when I need it rather than having to use xdm.

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/