Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 20:54:58 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: simple affinity and pagezero etc.

>As part of the tinkering I've been doing with cpu_switch() etc, I decided
>to have another shot at John Dyson's idea of making the idle loop pagezero
>stuff into an idleprio kthread/process/whatever.

I don't think we would want to always use it, since it would disturb
caches and increase latency for restarting user processes.

Perhaps it should only start up after the system has been idle for a
while (this means 1/HZ or 2/HZ in practice unless idle() spins testing
the time, and 10-20 ms may be good in theory too because it is similar
to disk seek times).

Bruce