Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:09:38 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Tom Torrance at home <tom@tomqnx.com>, mike@sentex.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

On Thu, Jun 19, 1997 at 11:41:49PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I suspect that there IS some other problem, and it is/was with cvsup.
> > I don't know why or how or if I contributed to it:-)
>
> It's not a problem with cvsup.  It's a fundamental flaw in the model
> of trying to "upgrade" a source tree by continually:
>
> 	a) Changing modified bits.
> 	b) Adding new ones.
> 	c) Not deleting the old ones.
>
> It's (c) which is the killer since you will eventually confuse the
> bezeesus out of the build system with old bits.  Do you have the
> "delete" option turned on in your supfile?

I turns out this is indeed the case... after trying a thousand things to
get a clean 'make world', the only thing that worked in the end was in fact
nuking the entire /usr/src tree and re-cvsup'ing it. I do have "delete"
specified in my supfile, but it obviously doesn't do what I thought it
should :-)  The only other thing that was "required" was getting a new
copy of the include files for /usr/include.

I assumed that cvsup did (c) above, when it doesn't. Oh well. Too bad really -
since the only reasons I did install the source from the 2.2.1 CD is so I
woulnd't have to wait so long for my modem to suck down the *entire* src-all
tree :-)

Live and learn.

-Mark

> 					Jordan

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert