Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:16:16 -0600
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>
To:        "James E. Flemer" <jflemer@acm.jhu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Determining the correct pkg-plist

++ 23/01/03 15:58 -0500 - James E. Flemer:
| Has anyone looked into using FFS snapshots to help automate
| plist generation?  Clearly this only applies to 5.x, until
| (if) snapshots are backported to -STABLE.

I think that might be a bit overkill.  I do something sort of similiar
to what you're envisioning, I think.  I do a find ${PREFIX} > prefix.0,
install the port, and then a find ${PREFIX} > prefix.1.  Diff them, run
it through some sed/sort/grep/whatever magic and generate an initial
stab at a PLIST.  Then make the manpages manually (or if there are a
bunch, more shell magic to generate something useful to paste into the
Makefile, etc).  Reinstall/package/deinstall, find ${PREFIX} > prefix.2,
and verify that prefix.0 == prefix.2 (in doing so, you've verified the
state of your system is returned to that of prefix.0).  Make sure you do
a "make depends" before generating prefix.0, otherwise the problems are
obvious.

It doesn't detect things like changes to permissions mtree specifies, or
files installed outside of ${PREFIX}, but it's quick & easy... any other
problems will show up on bento, worst case scenario.

--pete