Date:      Fri, 01 Jul 2016 10:05:34 -1000
From:      al plant <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        Allen <bsd_atog@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Simple" Languages in FreeBSD

Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 12:41:58 -0400
> Robert Hall <rjhjr0@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 6/30/16, Allen <bsd_atog@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using FreeBSD on and off since 4.0-CURRENT, which seems
>>> like almost a lifetime ago now, heh. I'm currently using FreeBSD
>>> 10.0-RELEASE and even though I've gotten my latest order from the
>>> FreeBSD Mall (Which I bought 10.3-RELEASE on DVD along with a bunch
>>> of other stuff for myself and my Wife) I'm not ready to upgrade yet
>>> since I've gotten my system working how I like (Got WindowMaker set
>>> up, and FVWM2, and some other stuff set up) so I'm using it for now.
>>>
>>> Anyway, in all these years that have passed using FreeBSD and a
>>> bunch of Linux distros, I never had time or patience enough to learn
>>> Programming Languages, and I'm getting more and more to the part
>>> where I'm thinking it's a good idea more so now than before.
>>>
>> Why is it a good idea now? If you just want to automate things on a
>> few computers, sh will run on any *nix box without installing
>> additional software. If you want to create GUIs in X, you'll need
>> something more complicated.
>>

> Before I respond too much, I wanted to say thanks to everyone that took
> the time to reply, again, thank you. Any input is appreciated.
>
> OK, the reason I'm thinking now is a better time, quite simply, I'm 33
> years old now, and I've wanted to learn Coding in some way for a very
> long time, and before recently, I really Honestly think that a part of
> the reason I never learned, is that all through school, I always did
> terrible in Math. I mean REALLY bad. I failed Math all the time and I
> made the mistake of falling into thinking that "Well some people
> aren't good at Math, and I'm one of them, and so I suck at Math" and
> so on. The mistake being that I Believed that after a while, fully
> ignoring the fact that I never stuck with anything long enough to
> really learn it.
>
> I bought myself "Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours" and at the
> recommendation of a friend, bought myself "Teach yourself Visual Basic
> in 24 Hours" and later on in life, after getting into Linux, BSD, and
> Unix in general, I wanted to learn C, and bought myself a C book, and
> then Perl, and as I mentioned I downloaded a bunch of different Books
> about everything from Unix books, BSD Books, Linux Books, Unix
> Security which I'm very much into, and basically anything to do with
> Unix or BSD in general I grabbed it.
>
> My problem seemed to be that when I'd get lost in a Coding Book, I'd
> eventually give up. That, looking back, was a major mistake. I did
> eventually go to College after getting a GED (Got kicked out of High
> school for poor grades right after 10th Grade and so I had to go to an
> Adult Learning Center, and I tested out of everything eventually) when
> I started College I knew I wanted to do something in Computer Science,
> and the two classes I took that I did the best in were Operating
> [...]
Allen,

The FreeBSD question list is your friend in learning.

I have been learning  FreeBSD  since  2.8 I think it was, I was born in
1941 and  continue to learn. I am still employed as well.  Most people
on the list are more knowlegable than you'll find anywhere else and
willing to share.I took time to visit a computer group on the Greek
Island of Crete a few years ago and found that to be true face to face
as well.

You will do fine with suggestions and help from the List.

        ~ Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii - Phone: 808-284-2740 ~
                 Supporting FreeBSD - UNIX Computer O/S
              email: noc@hdk5.net  email: alplant.att.net
."All that's really worth doing is what we do for others" - Lewis Carrol