Date:      Mon, 9 May 2011 06:25:15 GMT
From:      Igor Polovykh <Igor.Polovykh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   amd64/156898: usb keyboard does not work while boot (ps2 keyboard works perfect)

>Number:         156898
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       usb keyboard does not work while boot (ps2 keyboard works perfect)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
[ip@?????.org /]$ uname -a
FreeBSD bvgm.org 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #15: Thu Apr 28 01:40:03 MSD 2011     root@:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/BVGM  amd64

when /etc/fstab file is corrupt and we can not boot normally. We get this error and cannot use usb keyboard to make something.

Root mount waiting for: usbus1
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from the loader prompt:

     set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

mount>

>How-To-Repeat:
1. attach usb keyboard to PC.
2. make corrupt file /etc/fstab to stop normal mounting from root partition (example change filesystem type from UFS to UFS2)
3. When you try to boot you won't be able to use usb keyboard to point right partition to mount (ps2 keyboard works ok). You'll see the message like noted in Full Description section.

>Fix:
I think the code that support usb keyboard have to load first.
I guess there is some workaround but i am not so smart in FreeBSD boot loader to find it.
Perhaps this is a right behavior of boot loader ( by designed :), i do not know.