Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 15:03:51 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   dhclient/ifconfig questions.

Hey folks.  A little rc.conf/ifconfig/dhcp trouble here.

Here is what I have:

fxp0 - internal interface
xl0  - external interface

fxp0 is easy.  No problems configuring that.

xl0 is giving me a headache.  Here is what I need to do:
Set ether to 00:A0:CC:33:55:25 and configure with dhclient.
Sounds easy, but . . .

Here is what I'm doing in rc.conf:

defaultrouter="NO"
dhcp_program=/sbin/dhclient
dhcp_flags=""
gateway_enable="YES"
hostname="acadia.ne.mediaone.net"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.8.20.5  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_xl0="DHCP ether 00:A0:CC:33:55:25"
. . .

But when I reboot, not only is it not starting dhclient, but X won't
start!  I get a libgtk12.so.2 not found error, but it is there.  When
I set the whole thing back (I backed up my rc.conf so as not to be an
idiot), everything works fine, with xl0 not being brought up.  The xl0
interface does work fine otherwise, so I'm sure my mixing DHCP and
ether parameters is the source of the problem.  Probably crapping out
the boot process before all the libraries, etc. can be loaded.

I looked thru the rc.conf manpage and could not find any details on
passing the ether setting to a dhcp configured interface.  Is it
possible to do so?  I know putting an ifconfig xl0 ether . . . command
in dhclient-enter-hooks won't work, since the address has to be right
before dhclient even requests an IP.

I won't really need it to work this way for long,
as I will be calling my ISP to set up the new hardware address once I
am fairly sure everything else works well.

Thanks in advance!

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Biology is the only science in which multiplication means the same thing
as division.