Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2008 05:40:14 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@freebsd.org>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg memory leak

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 05:59:28PM -0500, Coleman Kane wrote:
>It seems that while my terminal window remains relatively small (around
>80x30 characters), there doesn't seem to be any impact. However, if I
>drag the window border to expand the size of it (to like 220x70 or
>something), then it starts to chew up memory from the Xorg process. It
>can sometimes get so bad as to take ~100MB per second at times. Normal
>xterm does not seem to exhibit this behavior. One thing that I've
>noticed is that the memory-eating seems to coincide with the point where
>the gnome-terminal window's redraw rate starts to lag from the window
>being far too large.

That's an interesting comment.  Does gnome-terminal have any equivalent
to the '+s' (synchronous) option on xterm and, if so, does that have any
effect?

>It won't go back down until Xorg is actually closed.

I think this implies that it's a bug in the X server because otherwise
the resources would be released when the offending client is closed.

Unfortunately, I think I'm out of ideas on how to track down the
problem, sorry.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw