Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:54:52 -0800
From:      Richard Dawes <rdawes@epstais.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is 'make index' broken?  Suggestions?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:34:58PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:38:36PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 March 2004 02:11 pm, Richard Dawes wrote:
> > > Greetings!
> > >
> > > I'm not a ports developer or maintainer, but I'm curious...
> > >
> > > For a while now, it seems, I haven't been able to generate
> > > a valid INDEX file, and the one I can cvsup is now a couple
> > > weeks old...
> > >
> > > FTR, I am past all the portupgrade issues.  I haven't seen
> > > any postings about this specically, but I'm wondering if
> > > this has anything to do with Kris's repeated "INDEX build
> > > failed" postings - which appear to be some sort of automatic
> > > output for ports developers.
> > >
> > > I have been getting similar "make_index: ... no entry..."
> > > output, which for me keeps ending like so:
> > >

> > > make_index: gauche-readline-0.1: no entry for /usr/ports/lang/gauche
> > > make_index: gauche-readline-0.1: no entry for /usr/ports/lang/gauche
> > > Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: *** Error code 1
> > > Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry:
> > >  Done.
> > >

> > > Then, for portupgrade to work much at all, I have to restore
> > > a backup copy of INDEX...
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?  If this is some known situation, would
> > > someone kindly point me to an online discussion/explanation
> > > available?  Thanks!!
> >
> > Figure out what you have done wrong with your cvsup or refuse. You have
> > something missing or too many refuses. Make index was having problems
> > from 2 to 3 March but not that port.
> >
> > Kent
> >
> > > -Rich
> >

> Actually the "Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: *** Error code 1" means
> that 'make describe' failed with an error.  INDEX was broken last
> night, but seems to be working today in the default case.  If you're
> still having problems after another cvsup, run 'make describe' by
> itself and show us where it fails
>
> Kris

Did an update of ports-all/cvs as of Thu Mar  4 00:12:01 PST 2004 ...
Ran "make describe" under /usr/ports ...
End of the output as follows:

===> editors/staroffice5
staroffice-5.1a|/usr/ports/editors/staroffice5|/usr/local|Integrated wordprocessor/dbase/spreadheet/drawing/chart/browser|/usr/ports/editors/staroffice5/pkg-descr|mb@imp.ch|editors linux|/usr/ports/archivers/unzip|/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base|
===> editors/staroffice52
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/editors.
*** Error code 1