Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:12:28 -0700
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ilpo.vilppula@hpy.fi
Subject:   root_device and boot/loader

I'm trying to get 4.0-current to boot off of my third bios drive using
/boot/loader (and loader.rc) instead of just /boot.config.  So far I
can
get it to load the kernel and fsck the drives, but then it complains
about mounted device not matching root device, leaving me in
single-user mode with the following message.

note - colons replaced with ], my shift key doesn't work [USB]

mount] /dev/wd0s1a on /] specified device does not match mounted
device.

it then asks for a shell and I press enter
mount - As best I can remember
root[underscore]device on / [local, read-only]

exiting the shell just returns me to the specified device... message.

This is my current setup:

BIOS 0: SCSI da0 Win95
BIOS 1: SCSI da1 Win95
BIOS 2: IDE  wd0 FreeBSD
 containing /, /usr, and /var
BIOS 3: IDE  wd1 FreeBSD
 containing /usr/local

My boot.config contains:
2:wd(0,a)/boot/loader

and loader.rc contains:
set root_disk_unit=2:disk2s1a
set bootfile=kernel
set boot_verbose
set rootdev=disk2s1a
load kernel
load -t spash_image_data chuck_nebula.bmp
load splash_bmp
boot -flag a

fstab
# Device     Mountpoint  FStype  Options    Dump    Pass#
/dev/wd0s1b  none        swap    sw         0       0
/dev/wd0s1a  /           ufs     rw         1       1
/dev/da0s1   /dos/c      msdos   rw         0       0
/dev/da1s1   /dos/d      msdos   rw         0       0
/dev/wd0s1f  /usr        ufs     rw         2       2
/dev/wd1s1e  /usr/local  ufs     rw         2       2
/dev/wd0s1e  /var        ufs     rw         2       2
proc         /proc       procfs  rw         0       0
/dev/cd0c    /cdrom      cd9660  ro,noauto  0       0

--
Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu

"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything."
	-- A. L.