Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:08:18 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Michael Richards <miker@scifair.acadiau.ca>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using tcpdump effectively

On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 08:29:01PM -0300, Michael Richards wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > What sporadically happens is that a X session to our Mentor Design Architect
> > running on HP  is ceased and the connection breaks (we login via rlogin
> > and start the X client with DISPLAY set to the FreeBSD machine.)
> Es mag dich nicht!
>
> > When the connection breaks we see something like 'no route to host'
> This looks like it could be a routing problem. The X protocol has a number
> of well known security problems. Personally I would suggest that you use
> secure shell to forward the X11 connections. I believe you can download
> the unix verion from www.datafellows.com.

I should mention that this route lost problem occurs even in the LAN
on the same ethernet (!). Looks to me like the infamous sniper bug
that NT 3.1 once introduced. (Snipers are 'Heckenschuetzen', in the
Bosnia War or Partisans during WWII, who fire from behind a wall
or from some hidden place). NT was sending some sort of ICMP
packets which caused something like host unreachable situations.
(roughly speaking).