Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 21:26:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Goddard <d.m.goddard@ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Checksum problems installing 2.1.5R

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, David Goddard wrote:

> I've tried the follwing installation methods:
> FTP using the setup program from the mirror at SunSite Northern Europe;
> Installing from a DOS partition after getting the files from SunSite (making
> sure that the transfer was binary, of course);
> Same again, but getting the files from ftp.cdrom.com;
> Same again, using Samba to get the files from SunSite.
>
> Every time, the same error on the same file.  I've checked bin.ad, and its
> the right size and I definitely didn't transfer it in ASCII mode, so I don't
> think it's the transfer that's the problem.

Have you tried regrabbing the checksum file?

It should be the exact same size as bin.aa.

What do your partitions look like?

What is the exact error messages from sysinstall on the ALT-F2 debug
console?

> I'm installing the root partition on the last 40Mb of my 504Mb primary HD,
> with the rest on a partition on my second HD.  Both drives are IDE.  I'm
> starting with clean partitions each time I attempt an install.

Ouch.  That is near 1023 cylinders.  You need to watch that value.

> The only other errors I can see during the install are a couple of messages
> telling me that the last ~2000 sectors of my drives are unallocated - is
> this connected?  I used DOS FDISK to carve up the drives in the first place.

That is OK.  FreeBSD has to round off to the next cylinder so it shouldn't
be a problem.

> A secondary question - I still have my existing OS-BS boot manager in place
> and would like to use that to select between FreeBSD and the NT boot
> manager.  Is this a sensible way of doing it or should I really add FreeBSD
> to the NT boot manager options?

You can add FreeBSD to the NT boot manager -- the prodecure is in the FAQ.
It is much easier that way since you may unintentially overwrite the NT
manager or vice versa.  OS-BS and the NTloader are sort-of mutually
exclusive, they do the same thing.

> Finally, is there likely to be (read-only, even) support for mounting NTFS
> file systems in the near-ish future?  I read something about someone having
> knocked something together, but I don't have any details.

Not at the present time.