Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:01:50 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        juri_mian@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 24 TB UFS2 reality check ?

Juri Mianovich wrote:
> I am about to attach 24 1 TB drives to a 3ware 9650SE-24 raid card
and attach it to a FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE system.

> I am going to newfs that raw disk and turn it into one giant 24 TB
UFS2 filesystem:

> newfs -i 65536 -U /dev/da1
>
> I intend to enable quotas on this system BUT I do not intend to set

any >2TB quotas for any one particular user.

> Questions:
>
> - anything else I should know ? Any danger ? Other than decreasing
inode density, like I am with '-i 65535' are there any other settings
I should be considering ? I will set kern.maxdsiz="2572000000" ...
which I hope will be enough for fsck.

> - I have been (sort of) following the recent thread about >2TB
quotas - let's say I have a user with _no quota set_ but they amass
more than 2 TB of files - is that still a problem ? Or is it only a
problem if I actually set a quota for them of >2TB ? Will repquota
report correctly, even though they don't have a quota set ?

> Thanks.

You had better have a lot of memory available ot your processes to be
able to fsck this baby.. (it'd better be an amd64)..
I don't remember the exact numbers but for 16k blocksize,
it was something like 200MB ram for each 100GB of filesystem when
populated with 60KB files..
(don't trust those numbers, do some testing (and let us know :-) )