Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 19:01:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      dnelson@emsphone.com (Dan Nelson)
To:        dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com (Dave Babler)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Termcap vs. screen

in the last episode, Dave Babler said:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > What specifically is wrong with the builtin termcap entry?  It
> > describes exactly the capabilities of the SC terminal that screen
> > emulates.  You shouldn't even need the SC termcap entry in
> > /etc/termcap, unless you're telnetting around to different machines. If
> > screen output looks funny, it's probably a problem with the original
> > termcap entry that screen read when it started, not with screen's
> > internal termcap entry.
>
> The screen port supplies a termcap/terminfo definition (screencap) with
> comments in the make file to include it into the overall term database.
> As I mentioned, almost NONE of my users have vt100 emulation, so
> defaulting to the vt100 emulation is 100% worthless to them. I've

But the screencap is not meant to describe your users' terminals at
all.  It's meant to describe screen's internal terminal.  For example:
Before I ran screen on my z19 terminals, I had a z19 termcap entry
(TERM=z19) and a z19 terminal.  After I ran screen, I had an SC termcap
entry (TERM=screen).  Screen ate the ansi sequences generated with the
SC termcap entry and translated them into z19 sequences.

You want to leave the screencap entries just as they are.  They
perfectly describe screen's emulated ANSI terminal, which is what they
are supposed to do.

> redefined the screen termcap entry, included it and recompiled the
> termcap/terminfo database - screen simply does not use it. It always
> includes a magical (compiled in) version of vt100, regardless of what

So after you run screen, $TERM is vt100?  It should be "screen", and
$TERMCAP should read "SC|screen|VT 100/ANSI X3.64 virtual terminal...."

What are the display problems you are having?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com