Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:54:00 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD printing hardware

Bill Maniatty wrote:

> I am shopping for a system, and want to make sure that I get a printer
> configuration which works fairly well with FreeBSD and hopefully ghostscript.
> I was thinking of getting 2 printers (one color inkjet and one monochrome
> laser jet).  My questions become:
>
>         1) I would like to get high resolution color output on the inkjet,
>                 do people have specific printer recommendations (I was
>                 considering an Epson Stylus 850).  Are there any
>                 good inkjets with native postscript support (I'd
>                 be willing to pay a bit more for it I guess).

The Epson was postscript by drivers and the drivers at one point were
only for WIndows or a MAC. I looked up what printers supported
postscript and, at that time, there was a Xerox, a Lexmark OPTRA, and
an HP2500CM. The Xerox was the only one supporting PS 3. Some of them
come with 10/100 NIC's built in and I like that flexibility. I have
two injets and an old Brother HL8e laser that is on a printserver.
Less trouble interacting with both Windows and FreeBSD. I haven't been
printing color from FreeBSD and those printers are on parallel ports.
All of my Adobe stuff is Windows based and running on NT right now.
None of them have PS. I could add it to my HP 1600C but that would be
throwing $500 US away in my book.

>         2) Is there any recommendations regarding PCI cards providing an
>                 extra parallel port that I should be aware of (one vendor
>                 here is pushing SIIG cards)?

I've use SIIG cards for the com ports. It wasn't a problem other than
you have to use their cables.

>         3) For the printer suggested in (1) how can I get the best
>                 output quality if I must use a software driver
>                 (e.g. ghostscript installation hints and options).

I tried ghostscript and none of the interfaces did 1200dpi color. They
also did a number of things poorly such as fills. Why emulate when you
can use the real thing.

>         4) For a monochrome laser, is an HP1100 or HP2100 (if I feel rich :-)
>                 a good choice?

The HP 4050 is a much better choice because it comes with PS 2 and for
$300 you can add a duplexer if it becomes important. The HP 2100 would
be my only other choice because for $100+ you can add postscript to
it. The local Office Depot has a TN model for $999, which means
networking and postscript, but you can buy a 4050 for $982 at buy.com
and get a lot more printer. The 1100 looks like a personal printer and
I don't trust them for duty cycle.

Kent

> Regards:
>
> Bill Maniatty