Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:20:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "Jerry McAllister" <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partition sizes for small harddisk

> Actually, some of the heavy hitters out there say they have been
> leaning toward all / disk partitioning + swap, of course.

A little OT, but although it has been advised over and over that you
should never use a / only system, in some cases I have found it very
useful.

It is exceptionally easy to make complete backups (clones) of file
systems, great for if you ever think you need to expand the size of your
disk and easy to restore from tape to a new hard disk.

Everything in one place, with minimal disklabel editing.

On a heavily used production system, I wouldn't do this, but on firewalls
and the like it's great. Especially when using flash memory cards as disk
drives and need to 'flash' the card with the new file system image.

Steve