Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 1997 12:12:29 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren <r.m.b.lindgren@usit.uio.no>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation woes

Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren wrote:

> hi,
>
> I've got a Pc with two hard disks; both of which have two partitions.
> I'd like to install FreeBSD on the second partition of the second disk.
> it's empty, at least as viewed from Win95.
>
> howevever, when I choose the wd2 disk I am presented with something I
> don't understand.  I see _four_ items on wd2, one small unused, on large
> DOS partition, one large extended partition, and then one small unused
> partition.  I believe the empty parition is probably the large extended
> one (Win95 can only access 2MB at a time on my machine, hence one 2MB
> DOS partition and one 1MB extended).

It is probably so.

> if I tell the installation program to install to the extended partition,
> I'm warned that it's in use.  for all I know, I've misunderstood
> something, and don't want to delete anything for fear that I'll not be
> able to recover it.
>
> how can I make absolutely sure that I'll install onto the empty F:
> partition of my second drive, and not delete anything on any of the
> other C:,D:,E: partitions?

You need *free* (unpartitioned) spaec to install FreeBSD into (that is
space that does not belong to any partition). You will have to remove
this extended partition if you want to install FreeBSD there. If you're
too afraid to use sysinstall for it, you can remove it with Win95's
fdisk (simply delete the partition). Also, have good backups, so if
worse comes to worse, you can always restore from them.

Nadav