Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:32:09 -0700
From:      Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
To:        'Kal Torak' <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Microsoft uses FreeBSD

Microsoft is a very big company, and management is largely bottom-up rather
than top-down.

Microsoft acquired Interix (a company that made a product previously known
as OpenNT which replaced the Posix subsystem with a real Unix subsystem -- I
used it with great success in the past for a more Unix-like environment on
NT).  With Interix they of course had to continue using their development
environment for the Unix sub-environment, since that was how it was
developed, and MSVC doesn't address that niche.

So although the official company line is "GPL is evil; Linux is evil" all
the little fiefdoms will do their own thing until Bill explicitly tells them
otherwise.  In the case of Interix, it would be hard to do it any other way
unless the MSVC guys want to develop compiler tools for the Unix subsystem
stuff.

Just FWIW...