Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:58:49 +1100
From:      Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org
Subject:   Re: Caching nameserver question - I need a spot here . . .

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:15:29PM -0500, Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org> wrote:
> Hey all.  I'm finally getting around to setting up a caching dns
> server.  Pretty confusing from my angle.
>
> Here's what I have so far:
> named enaabled in /etc/rc.conf
> cd to /etc/namedb and run sh make-localhost
>
> and the following in /etc/namedb/named.conf:
>
> options {
> 	directory "/etc/namedb";
> 	forward first;
> 	forwarders {
> 		151.203.0.84;
> 		151.202.0.84;
> 	};
> 	listen-on { 10.8.20.5; };
> 	version "surely you must be joking"
> 	query-source address * port 53;
> };
>

> zone "." {
> type hint;
> file "named.root";
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
> type master;
> file "localhost.rev";
> };

G'day Louis,

The only differences I can see between this and my working
configuration at home is

1/. I have "forward only" rather than "forward first".
    So far my DNS providers haven't failed me!

2/. I run named as a non-privileged user. I haven't configured
    a complete sandbox (see http://www.au.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/dns.html#NAMED-SANDBOX for that),
    but just did the following:

      mkdir /etc/namedb/s
      chown bind:bind /etc/namedb/s
      chmod 750 /etc/namedb/s

   Add the following to the options in named.conf

      dump-file "s/named_dump.db";

   and named_flags="-u bind -g bind" to /etc/rc.conf.

3/. I don't have the version and query-source lines. I
    don't believe they'll break anything for you.

4/. I have set up an authorative "lane.family"
    domain for my home network

5/. You may want to add 127.0.0.1 to your listen-on option.

I can't see anything in your setup as is that will wreak havoc on the
internet, but I am not an expert. I would at least run it as bind:bind
rather than root as it is trivial to set up. A complete sandbox is better,
and of course a jail would be even better, but they are both more work.

Greg