Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:21:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, andrew@whine.com
Subject:   Re: CD-R causing system to freeze then reboot

Hi Jean-Marc Zucconi;  On 19-Sep-97 you wrote:

>   > I just purchased s JVC XR-W2001, hooked it up to my ncr53c810
>   > scsi controller.  Everytime I do anything direted at the drive ( a
>   > dd, scsi command, wormcontrol) the computer freezes, and then
>  reboots.
>
>  This is normal :-) the JVC is not a supported drive.

Try to see if you have LUn (other than zero) scanning enabled.  If you do,
knock it OFF.  FreeBSD does some initial access commands in backwards order
(I forget which, maybe TEST UNIT READY and INQUIRY), which, on many CD-R
units cause them to try and answer for LUNs other than zero and promptly
hang.

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 18-Sep-97, 21:17:23
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313