Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 20:09:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Matt Peterson <matt@peterson.org>, "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bay Networks Baystack 650 Wireless LAN

Brooks Davis writes:
| and figure out what's up with it.  I need to find some time to work on
| wireless stuff again, I've got a number of changes I'd like to make to
| the ifconfig patches (including actually tested/working awi support and
| some hacks to change the way BPF works for better snooping.)  Hopefully,
| my briefing this week will free up the PO for some new Cisco Aironet
| 350 gear so I can spend a week or so on wireless soon.

I have a bunch of fixes for the Aironet stuff.  Still need to do some
more work but I cleaned up the read and write functions.  They should be
a little faster and deal with with odd size transfers.  I also included
your ifocnfig patches in my and made an include file to turn them one
and off.  This way I could resolve merge conflicts.

Are your BPF changes for better snooping to deal with 802.11 stuff?
Ethereal can deal with 802.11 packets.  Linux has some feature
to be able to connect Ethereal to the raw 802.11 packets for sniffing.
Part of the code to support this is being added to the Linux driver.
For FreeBSD I was thinking of tying the raw 802.11 packets into
Netgraph and then tie Netgraph into Ethereal and then we could sniff
802.11 packets from the Aironet cards.  The Aironet code is to enable
the sniffing is fairly easy.  If we do this in general then other
cards such as the wi ones could tie into Netgraph the same way and
just work.  Also if Ethereal was taught about frame relay that would
just work as well.

Doug A.