Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:39:44 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Andrew Knapp" <knappster@knappster.net>
Cc:        "'Chris Snyder'" <chris@psydeshow.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper way to upgrade packaes from ports

> From: "Andrew Knapp" <knappster@knappster.net>
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:18:22 -0400
>
> AFAIK, doesn't portupgrade come with another utility called portversion?
> I use portversion -r (for recursive) to figure out what packages I do
> need to upgrade. It gives a nice read-out of what to upgrade.

Yes, portversion is a part of portupgrade. It should do almost
anything pkg_version does except -c. I use "portversion -vL=" to check
on what needs updating. But I then usually do "portupgrade -Rra" which
will upgrade all ports that are out of date and do so in the correct
bottom-up order.

portupgrade also includes pkgtools which lets you establish routine
options you always use for installing a certain port. For example, the
make option to use the MGA driver for a Matrox card instead of the
XFree86 driver or to build Galeon with full mozilla. The file
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf lets you stop automatic upgrade of some
ports and many other things to make keeping ports current quite easy.

The biggest down-side is the requirement that I run portsdb -Uu to
update the databases after a cvsup of the ports tree. This is a pretty
CPU intensive operation and can take a while on an older system.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)