Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2013 09:58:12 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pretty good RPi version?

On Aug 25, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Tim Kientzle wrote:

>=20
> On Aug 25, 2013, at 5:07 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>=20
>> Hi!
>>=20
>> All - if it's unstable, please complain loudly on -arm and -current =
and
>> file PRs. If you have the time, please help figure out which =
commit(s)
>> broke things.
>>=20
>> There's been plenty of "stuff is unstable" talk, but I'm not sure =
it's
>> percolated its way up to the people doing VM hacking on other =
platforms
>> (notably amd64) so they are likely unaware they've broken things.
>>=20
>> It's possible they've also broken things for MIPS, which has me =
worried. :(
>=20
> On a similar note:  FreeBSD is starting the process for branching
> and releasing FreeBSD 10.0.  (The whole process will take a few
> months, but it means we need to get bugs isolated and fixed NOW.)
>=20
> I would *love* to have a solid, stable FreeBSD/ARM for 10.0.
> (If nothing else, I started tinkering with BeagleBone in late 2011
> specifically so I could move my personal email server onto one. ;-)
>=20
> To get there, we need as many people as possible:
>  * Running the bleeding edge FreeBSD.
>  * Reporting problems.
>  * Helping to diagnose those problems.
>=20
> Q:  Does anyone know a good way to test userland locking?
>=20
>     Diane Bruce has been continuing to dig into the issue that
>     broke sshd a while back; the clues point to some issue in
>     jemalloc (possibly locking related?).

Once upon a time, back in the RAS/armv4 days, I found a bug. Locks were =
getting stuck in threads in my employer's command and control program. =
After much debugging, it came down to the atomic operations implemented =
by RAS were less than atomic. There was a one or two instruction race in =
them. Usually they'd work, and you needed a very high interrupt load, =
like in my employer's hardware, to see the problem reliably. It would be =
useful to eliminate this possibility, even though RAS is off the table =
for armv6, this is really the first release with armv6 support and the =
atomics haven't been through the torture test of that process yet.

Warner