Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:19:36 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Marko Zec <zec@icir.org>
Cc:        Bjoern Zeeb <bz@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCcard NIC insert: "Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode"

--6caoKVhN0vwgdRDL

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:12:50AM +0200, Marko Zec wrote:
> > Symptom is that I get a panic on insert (or kernel probe, if it's
> > inserted already at boot time) of a PCcard NIC.
>=20
>=20
> VIMAGE kernels

Oh -- right.  I fogot that I had configured this kernel for VIMAGE so
Julian to demo something at a meeting a few months back ... and had
never un-configured it.

> do not properly set curvnet context when dynamically attaching=20
> devices (such as USB or pccard NICs), that's why the dereferencing V_if_i=
ndex=20
> fails.  You can use the "show pcpu" and "show vnets" DDB commands to=20
> determine whether curvnet context is properly set or not.
>=20
> bz's vimage tree from p4://depot/user/bz/vimage/... aims at fixing those =
and=20
> many other initialization issues with VIMAGE kernels, though I don't know=
 how=20
> stable it is currently...

Well, I reckon he can speak up when he feels it's appropriate.  :-}

For now, I can probably copy this off to a different slice for VIMAGE
experimentation, and revert my "normal" head/current stuff to
non-VIMAGE, then.

[I was kinda wondernig why no one else was reporting this sort of
thing.]

Thanks.

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--6caoKVhN0vwgdRDL

--6caoKVhN0vwgdRDL--