Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:47:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, TrouBle <trouble@hackfurby.com>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 -> 3.2 kernel config

On Tuesday, 14 September 1999 at 14:31:04 +1000, Rob Hurle wrote:
> Thanks TrouBle, and thanks for your config file:
>
>> Something is definatley wrong there, cause here are my kernel sizes
>> attached is my config also
>>
>> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  2767508 Aug 30 09:33 kernel
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  2610543 Aug 16 07:46 kernel.GENERIC
>> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  2867436 Aug 16 21:11 kernel.prev
>
> These kernels of yours are much more reasonable than mine:
>
>>> that is, a file of 11.0MB!  Where does the nice little 2.3MB kernel come
>>> from, and how can I make one with my bits in it?  Thanks.
>
> I compiled up your config file, and I get:
>
> 	freebsd [14:18] /usr/src/sys/compile/TEST1 #ll kernel
> 	-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  13578629 Sep 14 14:18 kernel
>
> 13.6MB!  Not looking good.  Any more ideas would be welcome.

I missed the beginning of this, but this looks like you have a debug
kernel (-g option to config).  This is good, not bad, since it enables
you analyse things if you are unlucky enough to have a panic.  If
you're running short of space, you should do this in the kernel build
directory:

  cp -p kernel kernel.debug
  strip -g kernel
  make install

If you're using an older version of FreeBSD (2.X), you'll need "strip
-d" instead of "strip -g".

In 4.X, "make install" will do this for you.

Greg