Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 04:23:46 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>, ktsin@acm.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in CURRENT

Mark Santcroos wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 03:17:03AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Mark Santcroos wrote:
> > >
> > > Coming up next in this theater :-)
> > >
> > > btw, how does the report that using the other compiler fixed everything
> > > for KT fit in?
>
> It looks indeed like it is a 'winner'. The buildworld is still running but
> getting further already than the previous 10.

Ugh!  Wait until it seems to work for a statistically significant
sample size, and for more than one person before calling it "happy"!

Also, I'm not sure looking at the code whether or not the PG_G is
truly significant, or just preterbs the workaround.  The problem
I've referred to in my "hunch" here is actually related solely to
the PSE, but with the recent code reorganization in locore.s, etc.,
it could have become more significant.

> > Coincidentally.  It's hard to trigger the bug, so it's easy to
> > work around it accidently.
>
> Thats very true indeed. I can take that as a good 'explanation'.
>
> I remember you talking about this PSE problems earlier and more often. Is
> it fixable? I assume we would like to turn these options back on as they
> improve performance don't they?

Yes and yes, but it could be pretty ugly.  It would be better to
get more data from people who are seeing the problem.  It may be
that it's just similar symptoms and more than one proot cause,
etc., so I'm pretty loathe to make any assumptions.

-- Terry