Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 95 11:01:13 BST
From:      "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GW2000 2.0.5 installed?

>  From: Kristyn Fayette <kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
>  Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 11:28:40 -0400 (EDT)
>  . . .
>    I've had 1.0.2, 1.1.5.1, and 2.0.5 installed on my Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V.
>  I've got a PS/2 style mouse and the 124-key keyboard (if that's what you
>  mean by "goofy") and an ATI Ultra Pro mach32 video card with 2 megs.  But,
>  I've got a Phoenix BIOS, not AMI.
>
>  Both my serial ports work fine.  Since I enabled /dev/psm0 for my mouse, tho,
>  I have to keep my keyboard active during the probes at boot time...especially
>  right after my hard disks are identified.  The easiest way to do this is to
>  just keep pressing the numlock key and watch the light.  If I forget to do
>  that, I've got to use another terminal to get into the system so I can shut
>  it down gracefully.  This is only supposed to be a problem with some Phoenix
>  BIOS', I'm told.  It didn't do it with a CompuDyne with an AMI BIOS I had
>  at work once.
>
>  Yes, there's been an XFree86 driver for the mach32 since XFree86 2.1 (when I
>  used FreeBSD 1.0.2).
>
>  --
>                      -=(*)=-   Kristyn Fayette   -=(*)=-
>                             kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu
I can second most of that (I'm still happily using 1.1.5.1, with
XFree86 2.1 and a mach64), but I find I only need to hit NUMLOCK once
during the boot sequence, doesn't seem to matter much when as long as
it's after the keyboard itself has been located.

ht
------
  Henry Thompson, Human Communication Research Centre, University of Edinburgh
                      UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!uknet!cogsci!ht