Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 22:54:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Khelbin Sunvold <khelbin@ntplx.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD newbie installer...almost ready

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > a)   If I find a conflict...what do I do..remove the conflicting
> > driver/whatever?
>
> You mean conflicts in UserConfig?  Mainly, you can ignore them.
> They're only a problem if they're backed by real hardware.
>
> > b) Is it best to remove the drivers etc which don't appear relevant?
>
> No.
>
> > What if I just leave them?
>
> They'll look for the hardware, not find it, and give up.

If you leave drivers you don't need isn't the following true:

   A) The kernel will be larger than necessary
   B) It will take longer to boot the machine
   C) If they are backed by real hardware you can have problems
   D) ep0 may have been buggy and didn't like anything else at I/O
      0x300???

If so, why leave drivers in that have conflicts when you don't need them
unless you are just lazy?  If you get a new piece of hardware you can just
run /stand/sysinstall... right?  or wrong?