Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:41:23 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: call for testers: init securelevel patch

Vivek Khera(khera@kciLink.com)@Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 09:56:07AM -0400:
[...]
> That last sentence makes me think that the person who decided this
> does not use a network to update that machine, ie NFS mounting
> /usr/src.  It is a royal PITA to get networking up and going after a
> single-user reboot to get out of secure level.
[...]

read my lips: con sole ser ver
;-) on a dedicated internal administration network is this the stuff
that saves you time.

ah, ... and, yes, we use a network also to update the machines ;> but
not with nfs mounting /usr/src. best choice is you write a little
setup-automagic script for single user mode and place it under /root

decrementing securelevel is evil.
doing things in userland which can turn off security features is evil.
securelevel is your friend.

/k

--
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de