Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:33:40 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Complimentary article on FreeBSD

At 3:32 PM +1000 6/11/98, phil grainger wrote:
> this actually highlights a major problem with the freebsd project,
> these apple guys are cvsing their rapsody product of freebsd cvs
> sites all our work in making freebsd stable, fast, reliable and
> user friendly is going into apples coffers, ...

Geez.

I thought the article itself was good publicity.  As such, I thought
it would be good news to pass along in the group of people who claim
to be interested in good publicity for FreeBSD.  If you have problems
with the FreeBSD project, well, those are your problems, but I still
think the web article was good publicity.

I also thought people might be particularly happy that this was an
article which actually used FreeBSD in the title, instead of talking
about Linux and only adding FreeBSD as a footnote.  Now, admittedly,
it probably made the title because the word "FreeBSD" helped him to
have a cute title.  But the article itself did say some nice things
about FreeBSD in specific, so it was more than just a cute title.

But no, let's have another thread about someone's sour grapes.  It
is so much more entertaining to bitch and moan than just read a damn
web page that's saying good things about a project we claim to be
interested in.

> a commercial freebsd would stop this problem or at least force
> apple to do the right thing

In my own personal opinion, a commercial FreeBSD which intends to
*force* people to do much of anything would be much less appealing.

Why do you hate Microsoft?  Because it likes to force people to
do things whatever way it sees fit.  To fight that, you intend
to force people to do different things, as *you* see fit. It is
time to review the lessons of "The Devil and Daniel Webster".
You don't beat the devil by following his practices.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute