Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:30:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andrew Thomas <ath101a@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   MPD server not routing

I'm trying to get mpd working as a simple vpn server.  I'm doing
this on a 4.9-STABLE machine of a week or so ago.  No matter what
I do, packets will not route to the client.  The login is fine,
the server machine has gateway enabled=YES (and in fact works OK
as a router for other machines on my local lan) and the routing
tables look OK once the connection is up.  But, when I ping
from the client I can see network traffic coming in but, like a
roach motel, nothing leaves the server - all the traffic is one way.
When I try from the server I get 'no route to host'.  It's in the
routing tables though!

I do see 'gre [KSv1]' traffic going both ways on the external
interfaces.

I have access to another machine which is running 4.6-STABLE from
Aug. '02.  I put the same mpd config files there and everything
works like a champ!  This leads me to believe something is broken
in the underlying code.  Or perhaps there's something new that
needs to be configured that I'm missing?

One other data point - PPP behaves exactly the same way (which
also leads me to suspect something lower level).

Does anyone have any clues as to what's happening?  Is anyone
using MPD as a VPN server on a late version of the OS?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy