Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:12:50 +0930
From:      Jarrod Sayers <Jarrod.Sayers@unisa.edu.au>
To:        'Yann Ramin' <atrus@atrustrivalie.org>
Cc:        "'stable@freebsd.org'" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: PostgreSQL 7.2 hanging CPU

Yann,

The CPU usage hangs around 100% when the monitoring service updates all status
fields for each node.  This system was running on 4.5-STABLE with a slightly
older version of PostgreSQL and had no problems with load - only after the
system was cvsupped and ports updated.

At the moment, it would do about 35 record updates a minute, changing one field
in each record.  I also had a cron job to vacuum the database hourly and that
didn't help - as you can see by the graph, it still went silly over night.  The
data directory is currently about 116mb.

I think it is a PostgreSQL problem too..

-Jarrod.