Date:      19 Apr 2003 00:58:23 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Recent bsd.port.mk changes

--=-SQ9ApqP+M9Q9IcZu2B4V

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 23:29, parv wrote:
> in message <1050646484.58286.108.camel@shumai.marcuscom.com>, wrote
> Joe Marcus Clarke thusly...
> >
> > On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 00:57, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > > In your case since the PREFIX is different they don't actually
> > > conflict so one might argue that it should be allowed.
> > > I suppose that's something that could be checked in bsd.port.mk
> > > by extracting the prefix for the existing package from the
> > > contents file and comparing to PREFIX.
> >
> > This would be acceptable.
>=20
> Same here.
>=20
>=20
> > However, the make deinstall would still remove both versions.
> > What about keeping make deinstall the same as it was with one
> > exception: if you type make deinstall in a port directory, and the
> > version specified by that port's Makefile is not installed (but
> > another version with the same origin is), then the other version
> > would be deinstalled.  However, if a package is found that matches
> > the version specified in the port's Makefile, then only that
> > version is removed.
>=20
> How would a package be found, being in /usr/ports/packages/All?  In
> my case, i do not like the symlinks generated in various directories
> to the packages in All.  I need to have a package in the ports
> directory, and let me move it wherever i desire.
>=20
> And yes, i specify the path to pkg_add instead of just port/package
> name when i need to install an already build port as a package.  In
> such a scenario i would rather have new behaviour than the one you
> are suggesting.  'make deinstall' should not discriminate between
> a port & a package.
>=20
> ...all that unless i have missed something.

I think you misunderstand.  I'm not saying make deinstall should
discriminate.  I'm saying that make deinstall should try to deinstall
the package directly referenced by the current Makefile _first_.  If an
installed package matching the PKGNAME specified by the .CURDIR
Makefile, _then_ it will try to remove all packages with the same
PKGORIGIN.

Take a look at the patch I attached to the previous email.  I'm just
changing the ordering of the new deinstall functionality, plus adding a
target that retains the new functionality in its entirety called
"deinstall-all."

Joe

>=20
>=20