Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:33:23 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/54738: Remove references to branches/ section of FTP site

At Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:40:22 +0000 (UTC),
Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>  But what about ftp://ftp.jp.FreeBSD.org/ ?  They will also stop to
>  provide direct access to -CURRENT/-STABLE source via FTP?
>  Does it mean that CVSweb will be the only way to get some
>  -CURRENT/-STABLE source files?

Yes, they will.  We plan to remove branches distribution via FTP for
official mirrors because carrying these bits via FTP mirror apps is
too inefficient.

If we got many requests to provide a FTP method to get the source of
each branch, I'll setup specific FTP site (such as
ftp-branches.FreeBSD.org?) for this purpose.

We think mirroring branches bits to all over the world is not good way
to go.

--
Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> // IMG SRC, Inc.
             <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org> // FreeBSD Project