Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2013 15:08:30 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Subject:   Re: patch which implements ZFS LZ4 compression

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 02:52:57PM -0800, Xin Li wrote:
> On 02/08/13 14:29, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Here is a patch against FreeBSD 9.1 STABLE which implements ZFS LZ4
> > compression.
> >
> > https://plus.google.com/106386350930626759085/posts/PLbkNfndPiM
> >
> > short link: http://bpaste.net/show/76095
>
> Please DO NOT use this patch!  It will ruin your data silently.
>
> As I already posted on Ivan's Google+ post, I'm doing final universe
> builds to make sure that there is no regression and will merge my
> changes to -HEAD later today.

Another compression algorithm, this time 50%+ faster than lzjb.  Great,
fine, wonderful, awesome, kudos, huzzah, blah blah blah.

So when is someone going to step up to the plate and fix how compression
(as well as dedup) destroys interactivity on FreeBSD?  Do I need to
remind folks of this issue once again?  Here you have it, dated October
2011, including the root cause and how it was fixed in Solaris et al:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-October/012718.html

Explanation and how Solaris et al fixed it, and how on Solaris the
problem was major enough that it even caused NFS timeouts (sound
familiar to anyone?):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-October/012726.html

Further testing showing gzip-1 vs. lzjb and interactivity stalls:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-October/012752.html

This is still a problem with base/stable/9.  And as I have said
elsewhere on lists, do not ask me to run CURRENT -- it will be a cold
day in hell before I ever do that.  I assume this same problem exists in
CURRENT unless I have some key developer/committer say "I backported
this fix in CURRENT, absolutely 100% sure".

I'm also wondering why iXSystems hasn't stepped up to the plate to
contribute to making this happen, given their business focus.  I do not
have the knowledge of the kernel (or of threading) to fix this myself,
and for that I do apologise.

But every time I see compression or dedup mentioned, I use the
opportunity to bring up this subject.  STOP ADDING FEATURES AND FIX
STUFF LIKE THIS INSTEAD -- while new algorithms are neat/fun toys, they
do not truly fix issues like this.  How this problem has continually
gotten overlooked is beyond me.

If you want a PR for it, I'll file one, but all it's going to contain is
the contents of this Email.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |