Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:41:53 -0400
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building subversion-1.8.10 under poudriere

On 08/27/2014 09:09, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 2014-08-27 14:41, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>>
>> This is a problem in the devel/apr1 port.  It checks for modf(), finds
>> it in libc, then assumes isnan() also comes from libc.  However, that
>> does not work for static linking.
>>
>> Please apply the attached patch for apr1, which I have been using for
>> some time now.
>
> Hi Dimitry,
>
> So this is due to me wanting to link things static?
> Then I'll reconfig subversion to dynamic linking.
> Because I don't have a clue (yet) as to how to get (and keep) custom
> patches in a poudriere environment.
>
> Thanx for the reply,
> --WjW

I keep custom patches this way:

/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/my-appropriate-make.conf:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/mail/mutt}
EXTRA_PATCHES+= /distfiles/mypatches/patch-mail-mutt-fix-imap-append
.endif

You may also be interested in things like:
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/security/krb5}
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --localstatedir=/var/db
WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes
.endif

I suggest using this method in poudriere's make.conf for port building
DEFAULT_VERSIONS=       perl5=5.16 php=5.4 mysql=5.5 apache=2.2 pgsql=8.4
# Global port options
OPTIONS_UNSET+=AVAHI BONJOUR CUPS MDNS PULSEAUDIO
# specific port options:
mail_dovecot_SET=GSSAPI
mail_dovecot_UNSET=MANAGESIEVE

That way you only change the options you desire and aren't hardcoding
any of the other port options in case the default changes in the future,
possibly in a critical way (threading for example).

The path to the patch must be a proper path within port building jails
and I believe poudriere mounts it's distfiles directory on /distfiles.
It has to be a path that is available within port building jails.  I
picked distfiles because it is available.  One thing I like about
EXTRA_PATCHES is it will cause a port build to fail if the file is not
found, so if that happens I will know to correct the problem rather than
produce unpatched packages.  I add my "mypatches" directory to my
standard server backups so it is easy to restore if needed.  Beware
running poudriere distclean since it will wipe out unreferenced files in
distfiles.